Sunday 13 January 2008

Marathon build up

I'm running the London Marathon this April. It's my second time and this year, I plan to be better prepared for those 26.2 miles. It's fair to say that last time (2006) I was not nearly as fit as I am now. It took me 5hrs18mins to complete the course.

James my trainer has written my training schedule on my office whiteboard and it looks daunting. I'll be running at least 22 miles a week between now and April. Some long runs, some short fast ones, plus of course a couple of trips to the gym to work on my core body strength and do some weights.

I'll be raising money for Rethink, the mental health charity. I Chair a regional group for them and see first hand the huge positive impact they have on people living with poor mental health and their families. You can sponsor me here if you would like to help!

There must be something in me that makes me take on these crazy challenges!

2 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Hi Robert,
I found your blog and I'm very interested in reading the whole thing. I'm training for my first marathon. It's in Sarasota, Florida (USA) on march 2nd. I'm very excited and looking for valuable tips from people who have run a marathon. I'm looking forward to reading your blog, which I'll be doing after I post this comment!

Kim
http://kimsrunningnow.blogspot.com/

KimsRunning said...

Hi Robert,

I think you did very well on your marathon time of 5 hours, 15 minutes. I'm shooting for 5 hours myself. Saturday I ran 14.5 miles in 2 hours, 43 minutes which means if I keep that pace I'll finish at 4 hours, 59 minutes. Feb 9th I'll run 20 miles. I'll get a better feel for where I'm at after that run. I agree it can be daunting, but the feeling of pride I felt when I was done was well worth my sore legs....LOL!!!

Kim