Saturday 7 June 2008

You know when your kids are truly adult when . .

. . . they decide to make journeys you're not sure you'd enjoy yourself!

Both of our kids are currently preparing for 'advanced foreign travel' by subjecting themselves to spooky vaccination programmes. I hate needles and so theprospect of protecting myself from rabies, yellow fever and all the other nasty diseases that seem to be lurking around outside Europe would not be something I'd enjoy.


However, when you're in your early 20s and determined to see something of the world, it's perhaps no big deal. This summer sees our son Tom driving to Mongolia with three friends in an old Land Rover and our daughter Ruth working in Uganda on a malaria project.

As we enjoy a quiet summer in Norfolk, with a week in La Rochelle to break the routine, two rather alarming thoughts keeps coming back to me. First, my kids are grown up and braver than me. Second, middle age seems to have arrived unnoticed!

Oh dear . . .

2 comments:

TomA said...

I wouldn't say I've "enjoyed" being vaccinated, I've got two dead arms and an arm full of needle marks!

http://toma.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

How exciting for your children! I too have had hang ups with vaccines but since my job prohibits avoiding them I had to look at other options. If you do get the urge to join the kids look into emla, www.ilhateneedles.co.uk, it numbs the skin before injections and makes the process survivable.