Sunday 12 October 2008

Mental Health Week


Last week was World Mental Health week. This was appropriate for me as my depression 'black dog' bit my arse hard and refused to let go. I started waking at 3am and then when I got up later, feeling like life was not something I wanted to continue.

The tension and arguement between the rational and the suicidal continued in my head all week. What broke the spell and released me was a dinner on Friday night.

TV and radio personality Helen McDermott was guest speaker and I was MC. The event was a celebration of mental health charity Meridian East's 25th anniversary and the retirement of my friend Alan it's founder.

Helen talked about her own 'coming out' as someone with wavering mental health. She described in her talk so many of the things I experience that it was clear that how I feel is not unique. The evening, the wine, the conversation and the chance to further hone my presentation skills all helped.

Today I feel fine again. Which is just as well, as I'm facing a very busy week

2 comments:

Sheri Zampelli AKA Gal VanIZed said...

Thank you Robert for your candid comments. It's so easy to assume that someone who wrote "The Life Guide" couldn't possibly be depressed. I'll tell you something, I wrote From Sabotage to Success and I probably sabotage my success numerous times each day. I love the concept of learning to make the best of it no matter what and also of being willing to be human. All the best.

Robert Ashton said...

It's actually because I live with depression that I am able to write books like 'The Life Guide.

You need to step outside sometimes to clearly see what's inside!