Saturday 6 February 2010

There's something strange about a man who buys a villa on Lanzarote

Today's local daily paper carries a story about the company that made me redundant in 1990. I came to be hugely grateful to their MD who gave me the push because without that nudge, I'd probably still be working for someone else. 

Alas his company went bust last year, no small feat when the firm's been around 40 years and has had plenty of time to stash away plenty of rainy day money. I guess there's a moral there somewhere, but that's not the point I want to make. The news story was about two of the assets of the firm yet to be bought from the receiver.

The assets were an interesting combination. A development of park homes in mid Norfolk and a villa on Lanzarote. One was an investment closely linked to the company's core business. The other perhaps less so.

The story got me thinking. I've been to Lanzarote to speak at a conference. It's a volcanic island with nothing to do or see; people go there to lay in the sun, eat drink and party. Why would a real entrepreneur buy a villa there? Aren't entrepreneurs more likely to invest in places where there's lots going on?

2 comments:

adrian ashton said...

but surely all us entrepreneurs need a 'bolt hole'/hiding place from time to time to recuperate and plan our next adventure?

(or wait until the heats died down...)

Robert Ashton said...

But there are bolt holes and desolate, uninspiring black homes! It's all about choices