Sunday 17 May 2009

Get bolder as you get older!

Prof Heinz Wolff is quoted in The Times recently as saying that: 'Timidity is very ageing. Fight it to stay younger. After all, with each year that passes you have less to lose.'

These wise words have really got me thinking. Am I getting more timid as I age? I like to think I'm getting bolder, but sometimes I do wonder. I certainly worry far less about what others will think and more than ever before, do as I please for most of the time.

But what about risk? When did I last really push myself far beyond what is comfortable? Of course I push myself to the limit in the gym, dizziness, nausea and floods of sweat are vital in my view if you're to keep your body young. But what about risking reputation, money, personal safety, sanity even? Hmmmmmmm let me think . . . . . . what shall I do first?

1 comment:

Sandy Naiman said...

Hi Robert,

I couldn't agree more with Professor Wolff. Sounds like you're veering in that direction, too.

However... I have no fear of pushing myself! I've had to push myself all my life, since I was first misdiagnosed with schizophrenia in 1960 by a very odd, dry and dusty psychiatrist. I was sent to her at the age of 12 because my mother found me to be difficult. Histrionic. My nickname was Sarah Bernhardt!

Afer 49 years of psychotherapy, I'm no different, really, just more accepting myself.

Bold is my default mode. Take me or leave me.

And I'm out and always have been about my mental health issues. (I was more accurately diagnosed with manic depression in 1975. However, I never get clinically depressed. Just psychotically manic. So, one medication stabilizes me.)

I've pushed myself at gyms, but my pushing myself mentally and intellectually and emotionally and cerebrally and as an activist, is much more exciting.

Pushing myself is my back-up default mode.

Pushing this way, as you very well know as a social entrepreneur, does a great deal of good.

Youth is a matter of personal affect and energy. Which, because of my hypomanic nature. I have in abundance.

At 60!

So, Robert. Kudos to Prof. Wolff. No one thinks I'm nearly close to my age and I don't even colour my streaky grey hair. I love it. I think it's pretty.

Reputation? Money? Personal safety? Sanity?

What about peace of mind?

My mantra? "No secrets. No lies." (Thank you, Mike Leigh.)

And another: "To know you have enough is to be rich."

With more than enough, I am wealthy beyond words. I love being exactly who I am and my husband, Martin Lager, loves me that way, too.

Thanks for sharing this. It's very true, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if the "meek shall inherit the world," and I doubt they blog and work for change and use the internet and write as brilliantly as you do.

Are timid people social entrepreneurs, like you?

Do they use YouTube, or broadcast on Business TV, or write international best-sellers?

You seem to push yourself all the time. You're so used to it, you probably don't even realize it. I'm amazed at all you do!

Keep pushing, Robert.

Thanks for sharing Prof. Heinz Wolff's wisdom with us.

Cheers,
sln