Monday 12 November 2007

My boy Jack

Having seen the play in the West End and found it both dramatic and moving, I thought I'd watch the TV version too. I rarely watch TV (and I mean rarely) so it's something of an event.

However, after two interruptions in the first 40 minutes for spells of inane ads with a childish Christmas theme, I gave up. I simply could not reconcile the seriousness of the play with the stupidity of the advertising.

In truth nothing can match the sense of drama of a well produced stage play so I was silly to expect anything close from the TV. It'll be a while before I bother to watch TV again.

As for the story, which of course is both tragic and true, it's a sobering reminder to anyone who tries to encourage their kids to live out their own dreams. Kipling's son lasts three weeks in the trenches and then dies; in many ways killed by his father's enthusiastic manipulation of the poor lad (and those who sought to turn him down for army service because of his appalling eyesight).

There may not be a war of that magnitude taking place now, but there are ample opportunities for over-enthusiastic parents to push young people into situations not suited to their talent and aspiration.

We should all chase our own dreams, not impose them on others!

No comments: