Friday 9 November 2007

Suck it and see

I'm afraid my mind works in an unusual way. For example I was fascinated and intrigued to discover a vending machine in a gents' toilet the other day that sold mints and condoms. The choice; the combination; the potential for unfortunate error really caught my imagination.

Whilst at first the idea of a machine that sells a packet of mints for £1.00 and a packet of condoms for £2.00 is illogical, the opportunities it creates are immense. For example, you can buy mints on your first visit during the evening so that you have nice fresh breath to pull the girls. Then, once you've got close, you can pop back and invest a further £2.00 so that you're fully prepared for that stopover in a lay-by as you take her home!

The context of the discovery was equally entertaining. I was at a mental health event, speaking to 'service users' about normality. Now a condom machine that sells packets of mints is not in my view normal; it enables you to challenge the whole meaning of the word. I was able to use the machine to illustrate to my audience that they must actually be normal

The fact is, that normal is nothing more than a majority opinion. Perceptions of normal change as do prejudices and stigmas.

No comments: