Wednesday 28 January 2009

I never thought I'd find myself quoting Jimmy Osmond

Talented though I'm sure he is, this guy's music has never done anything for me at all. His most famous song, was one I remember had lots of 'turn that thing off' appeal when I was young and he was even younger.

However, today I went to the gym determined to spent 45 mins sweating steadily on the exercise bike. A few feet in front of me was a TV screen and on it, Alan Titchmarsh, former gardener now daytime TV chat show host.

He interviewed Osmond who is currently appearing in the West End in 'Grease' and it was towards the end of the interview that the pearl of wisdom emerged. In fact it was rather a powerful moment, perhaps because I was close to fainting with the exertion on the bike.

Osmond said that one of the best things he learned from his family was how to adapt to life after the spotlight of fame has moved off you and onto someone else. How many people can you think of who deprived of their accustomed status by retirement, redundancy or changing fashion struggle to re-invent themselves?

So, Osmond might not be someone I'd rush out to listen to on stage, but when talking about life, the guy talks real sense. There - I'm converted!

No comments: