Friday 9 January 2009

I was good at the dentist today

I'm not sure why, but everyone at my office was surprised when I came back from the dentist wearing this sticker. I had been good so I reckon I deserved it!

Bella kindly explained that normally only children get stickers, but why I wonder? I'd spent a record 46 minutes having a tooth ground down to have a crown fitted. That's three quarters of an hour with a mouth full of latex fingers, sucking pipes and not forgetting that whining drill.

Actually Christine my dentist is very good and her assistant Stacey kept me amused by pulling faces all the way through the procedure. In fact, Stacey deserves a sticker as well.

My point though is this: why do we assume that only young people like to be told they've been good? Perhaps in these troubled times more people should take the trouble to thank their customers and reward their commitment to seeing through what might be every bit as scary as a trip to the dentist. Do you agree?

1 comment:

Sheri Zampelli AKA Gal VanIZed said...

I agree. I think praise is a good idea and I'm surprised more people don't do it. It almost always ends in a win/win scenario.