Wednesday 21 January 2009

Need a helping hand?

I met a really interesting guy the other day. He had quite literally paid an arm and a leg to be where he is today. He's a double amputee.

However, far from being a 'professional victim', he's positive and eager to make a difference in the world. He has started his own business and sees no barriers, just opportunities.

He described how he once wrote to disability champion Simon Weston and Simon picked up the phone and called for a chat. 99% of people would not have written the letter, but this guy just does it.

It really puts your own problems and anxieties in perspective when you meet someone who makes light of what in reality must be a horrific thing to live with. In his situation, I'd make a list of all the things I could not do and get depressed. He wrote a list of what was still possible and got on with life.

I learned a lot from meeting him. What do you think he could teach you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have spoken with the person Robert describes. (He sent me the link to this blog) He is full of ideas and really wants to help other people to overcome disadvantages to do what they can do best.